Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Quaife ATB $895 Retail

  1. #41
    Inactive Member sjoback's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 1999
    Posts
    503
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    if you don't trust them, give them a service manual, and stand next to them while they do it. its pretty straightforward.

  2. #42
    Inactive Member redline8k's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    216
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ok good they build lots of trans for all the supra guys here, and I am good friends with one of the girls that work there...
    thanks for the piece of mind.
    nick

  3. #43
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If I don't have a brain tumor, aneurism or meningitis, I think I'll have to reward myself with one of these.

    I'll be kind to my local DSP GSR driver who paid full price last year and won't tell him about it.

    Hah! Those damn ST Suburu's will never beat me again!

    ------------------
    Greg Holden
    96 GSR, JSRC @6psi, AEM CAI/RSR 4-2-1/Greddy PE, Cartech 20005/Walbro GSS-342/TPS Mod, JR BTC, KYB AGX/H&R OE Sport/ST 19mm Rear Swaybar
    Best 1/4 ==> 13.937 @ 101.41mph
    My JRSC Install Site

  4. #44
    Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 1999
    Posts
    764
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually, the shimming is to preload the tapered roller bearings at the ends of the differential carrier. Preload is measured with a deflection beam torque wrench and a preload inspection tool. The tool can be fabricated, but it might be less trouble to buy one.

  5. #45
    Inactive Member sjoback's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 1999
    Posts
    503
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rjaffey:
    Actually, the shimming is to preload the tapered roller bearings at the ends of the differential carrier. Preload is measured with a deflection beam torque wrench and a preload inspection tool. The tool can be fabricated, but it might be less trouble to buy one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    yeah for the s2k we used a fish scale to check pre-load. had an old timer v8 neighbor friend help.

    nice you don't have to mess with that stuff for a fwd. I remeber reading on hybrid where adrian teo did a kaaz install and found that the tapered roller bearings were switched to regular bearings, making this all easier.

    [This message has been edited by sjoback (edited February 01, 2001).]

  6. #46
    Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 1999
    Posts
    764
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Some models use ball bearings instead of roller bearings so preloading isn't necessary, just correct thrust clearance.

  7. #47
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually, only the older style differentials with the tapered roller bearings require any shimming/preloading. The newer units with the square shouldered ball bearing ends require no shimming/preloading.


    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  8. #48
    Inactive Member Import Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2000
    Posts
    79
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    I've gotta believe that there is still some sort of thrust clearance...

    I wasn't aware that they went to an encased ballbearing for carrier bearings (shows you what I know)...

    But how would I insure that I wasn't smashing the balls into the race when I bolted the case halfs together ?

    BTW: Jim, have you figured out what you can sell the Quaife for ?
    I like the idea, that the guy I'm buying from has "experience" with the product... cool
    ------------------
    Donny
    Import Specialty Automotive
    (253) 473-2606



    [This message has been edited by Import Tuner (edited February 02, 2001).]

  9. #49
    Inactive Member redline8k's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    216
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yea I cant wait for an answer so I can order mine, I assume that the new ones have the "square shouldered ball bearing ends require no shimming/preloading."?
    thanks

  10. #50
    Inactive Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 1999
    Posts
    463
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    See, I knew someone who has done it right would jump in...

    ------------------
    1998' 4dr GSR, 8psi JRSC w/hand ported plenum, 320cc injectors, Cartech adj. FMU, Walbro HP fuel pump, TPS trick in the works, valves set to .005i/.006e, MSD BTM, B&M CommandFlo regulator, stock intake w/ITR "cool air" resinator, Greddy sp exhaust, Tokico Illumina 5-ways, ITR springs, Skunkworks 22mm rear swaybar(removed due to mount torn out at present), ES motor mounts and front swaybar bushings, 205/50WR/15 Kumho Supra 712s, KVR Carbon Fibre pads, Super blue dot 4 brake fluid, B&M fuel pressure gauge, Autometer sport comp A/F gauge in dimmer location
    ...


    YLW 00' Type R #00-1011 with "special tuning" and 143db triple air horns

    Honest officer, I had no idea how fast I was going...the speedometer only gos to 150...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •